Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ann Piersall

Growing up in western Montana, I gained a strong appreciation for mountains early in life and have always been highly motivated to explore and learn about mountainous regions of the world. I have many personal goals for this project but they all centered around my interests in mountains and mountain people. I am looking forward to engaging local people in my research, partnering with skiers and climbers to explore the Tien Shan, as well as contributing to the local and international scientific community and the popular press through publication of my research, explorations and experiences.


-----------------------------------------------------------

ANN PIERSALL
-Vitae-


EDUCATION
- University of Montana B.A. Biology:Ecology and minor in Geography
Graduated December 2008 High Honors

-Wilderness EMT certification still current

WORK EXPERIENCE
- Geographer, U.S. Fulbright Student Scholar, Kyrgyzstan
- GIS Technician/ Research Associate -Montana Audubon
- Cartographer- private contractor
- Glacier National Park Trail Crew
- Ski Guide, Boulder Hut – Ptarmigan Tours, Purcell Mtns, British Columbia
- Assistant Avalanche Course Instructor – AIRIE and USFS/FNSP
- Glacier County Avalanche Center Volunteer Snow Observer

observations may be viewed at www.glacieravlanche.org/observations.cfm
- Exhibit Intern -Montana Natural History Center, Missoula, MT
- Wildlife Technician- Lost Trail NWR
- Glacier Nordic Skate Ski Instructor, Whitefish, MT
- Glacier Wilderness Guides - West Glacier, MT
- U.S.F.S. Bob Marshall Wilderness Trail Crew


OUTDOOR TRAINING
- CAA Advanced Weather Skills 2009
- AAA AvPro (Professional Avalanche Course) 2009
- Wilderness EMT May 2005 (still current recertified 2007 and 2009)
- Attendee 2008 NACIS Cartography Conference
- Attendee/scholarship winner- 2008 MT Intermountain GIS Conference
- Swiftwater Rescue 2005
- Professional Rescuer CPR/AED recertified yearly 2003-2009
- Avalanche II Glacier Country Avalanche Center 2004
- Avalanche II National Ski Patrol 2004
- Glacier County Avalanche Center Snow Observers Course 2004
- Mountain Travel and Rescue I and II National Ski Patrol 2004
- Crevasse Rescue Course 2007
- Outdoor Emergency Care National Ski Patrol 2005-2009
- Wilderness First Responder March 2003


VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
- Flathead Nordic Ski Patrol
- Glacier County Avalanche Center Snow Observer
- USFS Volunteer Avalanche Instructor Field Courses
- Raptor View Research Institute-bird banding/migration research
- Snowbowl Ski Patrol
- Snowbowl Ski Patrol secretary and Board of Directors
- Montana State Science Fair Judge
- Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit Intern
- Glacier National Park Volunteer Loon Observer Summer
- U.S. Fish, Wildlife and Parks Game Check Station Volunteer
- Kalispell Regional Medical Center
- Dream Adaptive Ski Program


RELATED COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Glacier Mountaineering Society 2002-2009
- American Alpine Club Member2008-2009
- American Avalanche Association Member Affiliate 2004-2009
-The Hockaday Musuem of Art Member and Artist 2003-2008

-Glacier National Park Member Affiliates Life Member

AWARDS
- Fulbright Grant 2009-2010
- American Alpine Club Research Grant 2009
- Nikwax Bellwether Grant 2009
- Scholarship recipient MT Intermountain GIS
- Recipient of Haynes, Morrelles, Osborn, CB Nelson
Scholarships, Univ of Montana 2008
- Dean's List University of Montana 2005-2009

9 comments:

  1. Ann What magnificent pictures! Wish I was there but I am too much of wimp to work that hard. I bought a book for Donna by dr Zeuss. "Oh The Places You Will Go" or something like that. Dr Seuss had no idea about you. You go girl.

    Tom Marx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, Molly and I just spent a couple of hours with your blog and photos. This is such an incredible adventure you’re on. Your photos are fantastic and your blog mesmerizing. As I said last summer, We would love to visit, but alas we’ll stay home and work. Now that we’ve spent some time reading your blog and viewing your photos – we will be regular visitors.
    John & Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann,
    My third grade class is your mom's "next door neighbor" at Hedges. My class has been reading and learning from your blog. We just got back from a winter trip to Glacier and all your information is a great follow up to what we learned. Also, we are Googling your part of the world and learning about Kyrgystan. What an incredible adventure you are on! We will continue to follow and learn from your experiences.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann,
    I just graduated from U of montana with my masters in geography and Sarah Halvorson was my advisor. She sent me your link and has been telling me all about your project, sounds amazing! My buddy Ash and I are flying into Bishkek March 31 and leaving early May. It would be sweet to meet up and hear about your project and travels! We don't have much for plans just yet, only that we're hoping to rock climb and backpack around. Any suggestion or favorite places you've been? Cheers! Ashley Williams (ashleywilliams2@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ann what a great adventure. A long way from avalanche classes and searching for backcountry stashes on Bif Mountain. My son Mike is in Tbilisi, Georgia for a year through the U of M. I sent him the great Interlake article that was in the paper today. I hope he makes contact with you.

    Enjoy and be safe.

    David Ortley

    davidortley@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. FABULOUS photos!

    Will you have flowers in the Spring?

    Donna M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Anne,
    I was there in the Tien Shan Mountains in 1980 and always loved it. Always considered it a highlight of my life and if I wasn't such an ocean person would probably be there now. Cheers and enjoy. S.G.Williams

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne,

    How are you? I have kept you in my meditations since the uprising. Take care of yourself.

    Sheila Conners

    ReplyDelete